Do you know what personas are? Personas are the fictional characters made to represent the customers of a business that actually uses that product or service. Personas are very useful from the business point of view as it helps in analyzing the needs of customers and their behavior.
The best use of personas can only be obtained if they are created, evaluated and researched fully. The major objective behind creating personas is to represent the actual and realistic behavior of target audience. With the help of effective personas you can clearly know the user’s expectations and demands.
Types of personas:
There are various types of personas described below:
Goal directed personas: These personas are directed to evaluate the procedure and research a customer would do in order to fulfill its goals or targets. So a business has to done enough research to gather such information and works on creating the one.
Role- based personas: Role based personas are mainly based on information collected from users involving both qualitative and quantitative information. It is driven with the role of the users inside any organization.
Engaging personas: These kinds of personas are majorly related with the users psychological state of mind. It is influenced by their emotions, attitudes, and their backgrounds.
Fictional personas: The fictional personas are one of a different kind which is based on UX design rather than on user research. In this process, the team made assumptions on the basis of their previous experiences with the users.
How to design personas?
1. To start, you need to collect all the relevant data related to your users.
2. The second step is to create a hypothesis based on the data collected.
3. After framing a hypothesis it is important that in a team everyone accepts that hypothesis.
4. Now finalize the number of personas to be defined.
5. Next, work on describing and examining your personal and related goals, attitudes, behaviour.
6. Following that, start developing various conditions and scenarios in which personas would operate.
7. Then, you have to collect the team approval for the personas described.
8. Lastly, update the personas with necessary modifications and revisions as and when required.
1. Research about the user’s behavior, attitudes, goals, thoroughly.
2. Create a detailed analysis of user research.
3. Discuss about the personas with team members.
4. Revise the results by making changes to it.
5. In the end is it vital to create reliable and realistic results.
Create user personas with the following tips:
Background Research: The initial research is background research which includes obtaining information about the client. The team analyzes their profile, their competitors and various ways where users are mostly inclining. Social media plays a very important role in researching about your potential clients.
Qualitative Research: This research includes a personal interview with the respective client. It involves user testing, slide up surveys, online chats with users. This is a direct and most personal form of interaction with the clients and hence proven to be best in obtaining desired information.
Observational Research: The observational research has to observe the clients from far. When a user is spending time on a website and completes its goals by him without any guidance or support, he is analyzed by the team and important points were noted.
Quantitative Research: It takes a detailed note on how users are doing with the website. Some of the tasks are data analytics, events tracking and other statistics related to website.
Evaluating user personas
Evaluating personas refers to deliver the most relevant and operational information before you start creating a user experience. Personas will help you to show user attitude, needs, values, demands, abilities and it can be evaluated on the basis of:
1. Personal background of users
2. Professional background of users.
3. Social, physical environment in which user resides.
5. End targets.