Usability testing can be defined as the process of analyzing the ease of using something by the real users. In this process, a set of users are been assigned particular tasks. All the tasks are evaluated by the researcher. The primary job of the researcher is to find out how the users are performing, whether they are facing any problem or confusion, and made essential recommendations to solve their issues.
Principle of usability testing
The application of usability testing is to analyze how easy a website is for use by the users. The test is conducted by real users to evaluate the performance of a website and the fulfillment of the user’s objectives.
Difference between usability testing and traditional testing
The basic difference between traditional testing and usability testing is that usability testing is taken with the help of genuine users whereas traditional testing can be carried out with developers, designers, or marketers.
Types of usability testing
There are various types of usability testing given below :
Comparative usability testing: Comparative usability testing is mainly used to make the comparative analysis of two websites. Basically, a website is compared with its competitor’s website to provide the best experience to its users.
Explorative usability testing: As the name suggests, explorative usability testing tends to explore the various ways of content and functions so as to include them in a new product. In the process, the users test a wide range of services and evaluate their advantages and disadvantages. After that, the best suitable services will be decided to incorporate in the product.
Usability evaluation: The purpose of usability evaluation is to test a newly launched product or service. The test can be conducted either before the launch or after the launch. This test ensures that the product is user-friendly and offers ease to the customers. In addition to this, it also makes sure that all the issues associated with the product shall be fixed before its launch.
Benefits of usability testing
The main benefits offered by the usability testing for business and customers are stated below:
- It is extremely beneficial to fix the bugs and defects which are difficult to recognize by the developer.
- Usability testing also seems to be useful in solving all the issues of a product or service before it is used by a customer.
- It is easy and effective to collect genuine feedback from the users to modify the product as per the requirements.
- It reduces the risk of failure of the product as all the things have already been considered before from the point of view of actual users.
- It becomes simple for the uses to attain their objectives, thus fulfilling the business targets and leads.
Drawbacks of usability testing
- The major drawback of usability testing is that the test is not 100% reliable as it is not fully based on real-life scenarios.
- Secondly, it is also time-consuming as a lot of hours are needed to conduct the test and to evaluate their results.
Irrespective of all the disadvantages, usability testing is still the best option to analyze the performance of any product or website and to meet the objectives of businesses.